How To Expand Your Network On LinkedIn
“My golden rule of networking is simple: Don’t keep score.” –Harvey MacKay
LinkedIn members have access to the following:
- Have the chance to connect with decision makers
- Conduct research
- Display their experience
- Solicit recommendations
- Establish themselves as experts in their field
- Increase their reach to new customers
By seeking out the right connections and asking to be introduced to new connections, you can increase your contacts exponentially.
You should think of LinkedIn as an online “Chamber of Commerce” networking meeting. Accordingly, your LinkedIn profile and activity should be conducted like you are at a business meeting. The people you meet here care about what you can do for them to make their business or themselves better.
In order to expand your reach, use the tools that LinkedIn provides such as:
- Company pages
- Share articles
- Share posts
- Share videos and slideshows
This will give you the opportunity to virtually interact with the most people who may become valuable connections. Unlike other social networks, it’s important to be more choosey about who you connect with. You can help by:
Crafting a Compelling Profile
- Include your best “head and shoulder” picture
- Fill out the profile completely
- Develop a strong headline
- Develop a summary of your background
- Even include your business related extracurricular activities
- Include your community and charity activities.
- Remember to use keywords in every part of the profile
- Choose bullets and lists over long sentences
- Allow for plenty of white space
- Include various forms of information such as links to presentations, PDF files, videos and more.
Create a Company Page
If you have a business, create a company page on LinkedIn. This will give you a chance to showcase what your business does without showcasing yourself. LinkedIn allows you to include:
- PDF files or “white papers” to describe and demonstrate what your business does.
You can also use paid LinkedIn advertising to promote your business page.
Join Groups Strategically
Groups on LinkedIn offer an extraordinary opportunity to establish your expertise. Once people see you as an expert in your niche they’ll start asking to connect to you.
Within Groups on LinkedIn, once you join, you can contribute to discussions, and start discussions. You can even create your own niche group in order to go even further with establishing your expertise.
Join relevant groups that consist of your target audience and groups sponsored by your competition to learn from their expertise as well.
Expanding your network on LinkedIn is almost as simple as just asking to be introduced, but do make sure that your profile is perfected before you get too active.
I can help you develop a great profile that will assist your readers to get to know, like, and trust you. Contact me at email@example.com and let’s start a conversation.
Do you hate the idea of networking? Here is a good book that will help you network and enjoy the process. Click here for “Networking for People Who Hate to Network.
As Rosie the Thunder Dog would say:
Leave a comment below and let me know what you think!
Link to book: